Labor and Employment Law
Laura J. Thalacker is a shareholder with Lionel Sawyer & Collins' Litigation Department, exclusively representing employers in the area of labor and employment law. Ms. Thalacker advises employers on legal compliance and litigation prevention with respect to a variety of day-to-day workplace issues including employee discipline and termination, workplace investigations, anti-discrimination laws, wage and hour compliance, leaves of absence, the WARN Act, and enforcement of non-competes. Ms. Thalacker also provides harassment prevention and other workplace training, and drafts employment contracts, handbooks and policies. In recent years, she has lectured and written extensively on employee use of social media and its wide-reaching impact on employers.
In addition to counseling employers on human resources matters, Ms. Thalacker defends employment-related litigation in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies, including claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation under statutes such as Title VII, the ADA, and the ADEA. She has represented clients before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the United States Department of Labor, the National Labor Relations Board, the Nevada Equal Rights Commission, the Office of the Nevada Labor Commissioner, and the Employment Security Division of the Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation.
Ms. Thalacker was named by Vegas, Inc. as its 2012 "Top Lawyer" for management-side labor and employment law in Las Vegas. She is AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and is listed in Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America, and Super Lawyers for her work in labor and employment law. In 2013, she was appointed to serve as the Regional Vice Chair for North America of the Lex Mundi Global Labor & Employment practice group. She is the Immediate Past Chair of the Labor and Employment Section of the State Bar of Nevada, and previously served as the Chair of the State Bar of Nevada’s Publications Committee. Ms. Thalacker frequently lectures on employment discrimination and other workplace issues for college and continuing education courses.
- Member, Clark County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Nevada
- Chair, Labor & Employment Section (2011)
- Regional Vice Chair for North America, Lex Mundi Global Labor & Employment Practice Group (2013)
- Chair, State Bar of Nevada Publications Committee (2001)
- Member, State Bar of Nevada Publications Committee (1997-2003)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Labor & Employment Section
- Chair and Board Member, Augustana Foundation (2002-2007)
- "Blowing the Whistle on Employers: Differing Federal and State Approaches," Communique, April 2013
- "Essential Components of a Workplace Social Media Policy," Casino Enterprise Management (CEM), Co-Author, November 2010
- “Pitfall Potential: The Risks of Social Media,” Nevada Lawyer, Co-Author, September 2010
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., with high distinction, 1994
- Senior Note & Comment Editor, Iowa Law Review
- Member, Chicago Moot Court Team
- Wartburg College, B.A., summa cum laude, 1991
- State Bar of Nevada, 1994
- United States District Court, District of Nevada, 1994
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1997
Follow her on Twitter