Labor and Employment Law (Management-Side)
Laura J. Thalacker is a shareholder with Lionel Sawyer & Collins' Litigation Department. Her management-side practice focuses on representing U.S. and international employers in the area of labor and employment law. Ms. Thalacker advises employers on legal compliance and litigation prevention with respect to a variety of workplace issues including employee discipline and termination, workplace investigations, anti-discrimination laws, wage and hour compliance, leaves of absence, the WARN Act, and enforcement of non-competes. Ms. Thalacker provides employment and labor-related advice in M&A transactions. Ms. Thalacker also provides harassment prevention, social media, and other workplace training, and drafts employment contracts, handbooks and policies. In recent years, she has lectured and written extensively on employee use of social media and its wide-reaching impact on employers.
In addition to counseling employers on human resources matters, Ms. Thalacker defends employment-related litigation in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies, including claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation under statutes such as Title VII, the ADA, and the ADEA. She has represented clients before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the United States Department of Labor, the National Labor Relations Board, the Nevada Equal Rights Commission, the Office of the Nevada Labor Commissioner, and the State of Nevada's Employment Security Division.
In 2013, Super Lawyers recognized Ms. Thalacker as one of the Top 50 Women Attorneys in the U.S. Mountain States. Ms. Thalacker was named by Vegas, Inc. as the 2012 "Top Lawyer" for management-side labor and employment law in Las Vegas. She is AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and is listed in Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America, and Super Lawyers.
Ms. Thalacker serves as the Regional Vice-Chair (North America) of the Lex Mundi Global Labor & Employment practice group. She is a former Chairperson of the Labor and Employment Section of the State Bar of Nevada, and previously served as the Chairperson of the State Bar of Nevadas Publications Committee. Ms. Thalacker is a frequent lecturer on employment discrimination and other workplace issues for clients, community groups, students, and members of the Bar.
- Member, State Bar of Nevada and Clark County Bar Association (1994-present)
- Regional Vice Chair (North America), Lex Mundi Global Labor & Employment Practice Group (2013-present)
- Member, State Bar of Nevada Labor and Employment Section
- Chair, Labor & Employment Section (2011)
- Member, State Bar of Nevada Publications Committe (1997-2003)
- Chair, Publications Committee (2001)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Labor & Employment Section
- Chair and Board Member, Augustana Foundation (2002-2007)
- Professional Member, Society for Human Resources Management
- "Blowing the Whistle on Employers: Differing Federal and State Approaches," Communique, April 2013
- "Essential Components of a Workplace Social Media Policy," Casino Enterprise Management (CEM), Co-Author, November 2010
- Interview with CEM Audio Edge "Gaming Law News," January 10, 2013
- Podcast Interview with CEM Audio Edge, "New Media Matters," (with Greg Gemignani), November 28, 2011
- Podcast interview with CEM Audio Edge, "New Media Matters," January 2011
- “Pitfall Potential: The Risks of Social Media,” Nevada Lawyer, Co-Author, September 2010
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., with high distinction, 1994
- Senior Note & Comment Editor, Iowa Law Review
- Member, Chicago Moot Court Team
- Wartburg College, B.A., summa cum laude, 1991
- Political Science/Women's Studies
- State Bar of Nevada, 1994
- United States District Court, District of Nevada, 1994
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1997
Follow her on Twitter