Employment and Labor Law
Gregory E. Smith is a shareholder in the Litigation Department of Lionel Sawyer & Collins and is chair of the Firm’s Labor and Employment Law Practice Group. He has 35 years of experience in labor and employment law matters.
Mr. Smith was a partner/shareholder with the labor and employment law firm of Smith & Kotchka from 1982-2007. He was in-house labor counsel for the Nevada Resort Association from 1979-1981, and was a field attorney with the National Labor Relations Board (Region 28, Phoenix, Arizona) from 1974-1977. He has extensive experience in advising and representing management in traditional labor law matters, including unfair labor practice proceedings, union organizing campaigns, contract negotiations, arbitrations, and state and federal court injunction proceedings involving union strikes and picketing.
In addition to his traditional labor law experience, Mr. Smith has litigated extensively in federal and state courts, as well as before administrative agencies, in the areas of wrongful discharge, employment discrimination, and wage and hour disputes.
Mr. Smith is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, in Chambers USA and in Mountain States Super Lawyers for Labor and Employment Law. He was named as "Las Vegas Lawyer of the Year-Labor Law--Management" by Best Lawyers in their 2013 edition. He is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell. Mr. Smith was named by Human Resources Executive (in conjunction with Lawdragon) one of the top 100 most powerful labor and employment attorneys in the United States; and for 2009 was included in the top 10 of that group as one of the best labor attorneys.
- Int'l Union of Painters & Allied Trades, Distrcit 15, Local 159 v. J&R FLooring, INc., et al., Case No. 08-17089, 656 F.3d 860 (9th Cir. Aug. 29, 2011) (on petition for rehearing, of 616 F.3d 953, consolidated with Case No.10-92929 on appeal from the NLRB).
- 300 Exhibit Services & Events, Inc.,356 NLRB No. 66 (Dec. 10, 2010)
- J & R Flooring, Inc., 355 N.L.R.B. No. 123 (Aug. 26, 2010)
- Int'l Union of Painter & Allied Trades, Dist. 15, Local 159 v. J&R Flooring, Inc. et al., 616 F.3d 953 (9th Cir. 2010)
- Ready Mix, Inc., 337 NLRB 1189 (2002)
- Meadow Valley Contractors, Inc., 331 NLRB 800 (2000)
- Roberts v. Las Vegas Valley Water District, 849 F. Supp. 1393 (D. Nev. 1994)
- D'Angelo v. Gardner, 107 Nev. 704 (1991)
- Fremont Hotel & Casino v. Esposito, 104 Nev. 394 (1988)
- Member, Clark County Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Nevada
- Member, State Bar of Arizona
- Member, North Carolina State Bar
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, J.D., 1974
- Marshall University, B.A., 1969
- North Carolina State Bar (inactive), 1974
- State Bar of Arizona (inactive), 1977
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 1977
- State Bar of Nevada, 1979
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1984