Litigation, Arbitration, Appellate Work and Legislative Advocacy
Retired Chief Justice of the Nevada Supreme Court A. William Maupin is a shareholder in Lionel Sawyer & Collins’ Litigation Department. His practice focuses on litigation, arbitration, appellate work and legislative advocacy. Based in the Firm’s Las Vegas office, Justice Maupin also spends time in the Firm’s Reno and Carson City offices.
Justice Maupin began his legal career in 1971 after graduating from the University of Arizona College of Law. Over the next 22 years he came to be highly regarded in both the public and private legal sectors, as a public defender and later as a partner in a respected Nevada law firm. He served as litigator in a number of well-known cases, and also worked on major casualty, insurance coverage and professional negligence matters. Former Nevada Governor Bob Miller appointed Bill Maupin as a District Court judge in Clark County, Nevada in 1993. Justice Maupin was retained as a District Court judge by popular election in 1994. While serving in this capacity, he received the highest rating for retention in the 1994 and 1996 Las Vegas Review-Journal /Clark County Bar Association surveys.
Justice Maupin was elected to the Nevada Supreme Court in 1996 and then re-elected in 2002. He once again received the highest rating for retention, this time as Supreme Court Justice in 1998 and 2004. In 2008, Justice Maupin received the First Amendment Champion Award from the Nevada Press Association and the Liberty Bell Award from the Clark County Bar. He retired as Chief Justice in January 2009 and began a successful mediation and arbitration practice during which he worked on a variety of complex and high-profile cases. Lionel Sawyer & Collins welcomed Justice Maupin to the Firm in April, 2010. In 2012, he was invited to serve on The National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals in recognition of his work in Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Member, The National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals www.nadn.org/william-maupin
- Member, National Conference of Chief Justices, 2001-2002 and 2007
- Member, Nevada District Judges Association, 1993-1997
- Member, State Bar of Nevada Board of Governors, 1991-1995
- Volunteer, Friends of the Children of Las Cohabas, Haiti, Foundation, 2002 – Present
- Member, Clark County and Nevada Legal Services Board of Directors, 1987-1991
- University of Arizona College of Law, J.D., 1971
- University of Nevada Reno, B.A., 1968